My Little Moments
Blog Header1 Blog Header Desktop

Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Adventures in Hawaii




The other night I skimmed through this entire tour guide and tagged all the places I'd like to go to before we leave. There are a ton of places not listed in this book that are worth seeing so I'd thought I'd share my thoughts for those of you planning a trip to the island or just bored enough to read my blog.  

This weekend we went to Kailua Beach Park. It's looks exactly how you think a beach in Hawaii should. Long, white beaches with turquoise water. It's beautiful. We looked at a few houses in Kailua but they were a bit out of our price range, so we ended up a few miles to the west. There is a bird sanctuary (Popoi'a Island) just a little less then a mile out that you can kayak to (or swim to like my crazy husband). It wasn't too crowded for a Saturday morning and was mainly populated by locals. If you come to the island and stay in Waikiki you are missing out. The windward side has a ton to offer.


**I just wanted to add that I haven't  photoshopped any of theses pictures. The water is really that blue**

After the kids were worn out we jumped in the car and headed towards North Shore. I have been craving good Mexican food for awhile now and we had heard about a place called Cholo's, so we decided to check it out. I am so glad we did b/c it was delicious. It's a bit expensive for Mexican food but what isn't in Hawaii. A plate of shrimp tacos with beans and rice will run you about $12. Well worth it.


On our way home we stopped by a place called Matsumoto's,  known for it's snow cones. Our guide book says that they'll put you in a sugar coma and let me tell you, they were right. They were so good. We just ordered rainbow flavored but they have a ton of options, you can even add ice cream. This place was super busy but once you try it, you understand why.  3 large snow cones (trust me, you only want a medium) and 3 stuffed cone toys for the kids cost us $20. Can't wait to try more.

3 comments:

Megan Gunyan said...

You're making me hungry. And want to go swimming.

Tamara said...

I may have mentioned this before, but I'll say it again..."I'M SOOO JEALOUS!!!" I know you probably face challenges with living in Hawaii, but the plusses just seem so great! Those snow cones look fantastic and that beach...oh my gosh.

-Loni said...

Jon looks so happy in that picture! I want to see some happy pictures of you too! It sounds like you guys are really taking advatage of the truely awesome place you live in. I'm so happy for you guys (a bit jealous too) but truely happy. Keep 'em coming, I'm loving reading about all your fun adventures!